VIDEO PRODUCTION AND THE ART OF WAR

• AUTHOR: // CATEGORY: Video Production & the Art of War

20 Comments

Video Production and The Art of War

I came into my film studio everyday.  Tackled my job with confidence.  Went through the motions while editing.  Continued to deliver quality work to my happy clients.  Yet, I felt like I was running on a treadmill going nowhere fast.  I was hitting creative roadblocks.  I was seeking a little guidance (and I knew I wouldn’t find it on a shrink’s couch or at the bottom of a bottle.) Then I read a book and began adapting how I go about my business (video production) and my life to Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War”.
    As I slowly and surely develop an integrated way to conduct my video business using these powerful strategies, I thought I would develop a blog and share with you my experiences.  My improvements.  My outlook.  My successes.  And yes, my failures.

My name is Dave Hudson and this is the story about how I am applying Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War” to my career of making motion pictures. I will show you where I failed and where I was victorious, but most of the true lessons came from where I failed. Ahh, such is life, no?

It began when I was 4… no really, we are going that far back. (It’ll be quick – I promise). That was when I saw my first Elvis movie and it was THEN I KNEW what I wanted to be. I held that dream of being an actor from then to when I studied Radio and TV with a minor in Theatre @ SIUC 18 years later. I kept that dream when I auditioned for an indie Christian film known as “The Calling”. I held fast to that dream all the way through production, post- production and still while sitting in the AMC South Barrington, IL Theater (17 to be exact.) waiting for the movie to begin. Then, the movie started (mind you, I was the supporting lead actor in this picture). The second act came where my character shows, and I was…well…NOT GOOD.  However, the movie still intrigued me as to how it was assembled.  I began questioning why some shots were used and fascinated by how different lighting in certain scenes added to the overall tone of the film.  By the time the movie was over I knew it was going to be my skills in production and eye behind the camera that I would focus the next 20 years of my life on… and beyond. My acting skills…moving on!

Since then I have been in the production world for 12 years. I am the founder and Executive Producer of a smaller production firm, D. Hudson Productions (not bad for a kid from C’Ville) and I make a living whilst getting to learn many new things.

My greatest lesson came the autumn of 2011 when this “Big Gig” came a knockin, this project had many smart, creative, and dedicated people on it, yet there where some rough characters, some poor planning, miscommunication, and budget issues all which led to a lack of sleep, posturing, sore back, constant second-guessing of myself, minor eruptions of anger, and… the list goes on. In the end, I failed in many ways. Don’t get me wrong, the end result was great, we finished on time with zero dollars over budget placed on the client, client was very pleased with the production and the end result, won an industry award, the Davey Awards (no relation), I met some cool people, and got to work with friends and family! However I failed in other ways. This first failure was losing to my own aggression.  I was compelled to read “The Art of War”.  Something inside me clicked.  I had to dedicate as much time to creating a great living environment around my professional life as possible… as well as into my personal life.  As Sun Tzu says “Taking a state whole is superior, destroying it is inferior to this”.    Lesson Learned #1:  In order to be victorious, I must first have victory over my aggression.

I hope you tune into hearing more about my story and how I’ve been able to be “Productive with Production and the Art of War.”

http://www.dhudsonproductions.com/ visit my site, have a look around.

COMMENTS

20 Responses to Video Production and the Art of War

• Darin Johnson wrote on January 21, 2012 at 10:24 // Reply

Looks good, good luck with everything

• jimkoko wrote on January 22, 2012 at 7:41 // Reply

I will . . . in fact, I look forward . . . Hopefully you will be interspersing video into this . . .

Make it fun . . . . . .

KOKO

• hudsonproductions wrote on January 23, 2012 at 1:30 // Reply

Thats a great idea that I will indeed be doing that

• Cheron wrote on January 22, 2012 at 10:05 // Reply

Even as a kid, everyone called you “Hollywood Dave”… You are destined to be truly successful, Dave…. Keep up the dedication and hard work and you will achieve everythig you desire!!! You have plenty of support from all of us that grew up with you.

• socrdoctr wrote on January 23, 2012 at 1:40 // Reply

look forward to the next

• Dawn wrote on January 23, 2012 at 2:05 // Reply

I love your blog. It is honest and inspirational! Keep doing your dream! Many more great things will come your way.
    I look forward to your future updates-

• Jeni Greer wrote on January 22, 2012 at 9:21 // Reply

You have come along way! Even as a C’Ville kid!.. You have stay tough and focused and I can see that has payed off for you.. I will keep my eyes open for you and watch what you become and do.. Know you can count on me if you need anything… Except as a drivers ed car co panion..lol

• richellepipski wrote on January 23, 2012 at 8:18 // Reply

Great job Dave! I look forward to reading more. I’m glad to see you put a blog together. I started mine in October and so far, it’s been great and I’ve gathered quite a following. It’s a such a fantastic way to put yourself out there. Good luck and keep it coming!

• hudsonproductions wrote on January 23, 2012 at 8:28 // Reply

thank you. The other day I was thinking about you cuz I was home in PJ’s at 8pm friday night. Ha! regarding your BLOG. I used to be getting ready to go out at that time. These days, wine, netflix, and PJ’s ahhh, wonderful!

• Jerry wrote on January 24, 2012 at 1:52 // Reply

Nice! Keep up the fight……

• Douglas Lee Miller (@douglasLmiller) wrote on January 24, 2012 at 3:46 // Reply

Great to see this, Dave – you’ve got a great lot of talent and I’ve always admired your drive. Let me know how I may ever help.

• hudsonproductions wrote on January 24, 2012 at 5:34 // Reply

Thanks, Man! ANYtime you want to be on set let me know.

• Keith Weatherspoon wrote on January 24, 2012 at 5:57 // Reply

Hell yeah Dave! Keep this project moving. You have inspired me to relaunch my site. Yessir!

• Rose wrote on January 25, 2012 at 11:22 // Reply

Love it Dave! We do need to be kinder to ourselves though and to me, there really is no such thing as failing, just learning. Rick Carson, author of “Taming Your Gremlin” looks at anger in a very non-judgmental way. If we suppress our anger, it’s no better than just letting it out. We don’t get to the heart of it, we just repeat it. Anger is a secondary emotion. It’s a sign our needs aren’t getting met. So instead, observe it, accept it and look for the deeper meaning underlying it. Then you will find others ways of expressing your needs.